Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: [ARC] Scent of Magic (Healer #2) by Maria V. Snyder

Title: Scent of Magic
Series: Healer #2
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Release Date: December 18, 2012
Rating: 4 Stars
Amazon
Goodreads 


Book Blurb



Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avery of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avery is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avery will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avery is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.



Review


I'm not exactly sure how to write this review, but I'll give it my best try. As my rating of 4 stars indicates I reallly liked this book, just not as much as the first one. 


When I finished reading it, it left me with an overall hallow feeling, which doesn't make sense with that kind of ending. At first I just couldn't put my finger on why I felt like that, but after reading a friend's review I finally figured it out. 


She pointed out how the interactions between the group wasn't prominent at all. It's still there every now and then but just not enough in my opinion. 


She also pointed out how she didn't like the switching of POVs. And I agree with her, my main problem lies with the switching of the POVs for a couple of reasons. 


1) It really interrupted the flow of the story with the whole going back and forth, especially because of the way how each one ended. I understand the importance of how what happened to Kerrick is gonna play a big part in the final fight but still,I think it could have been handled differently. 


2) This book could have made me feel so much more than it did, if it weren't for the fact that the reader knew that Kerrick was still alive and *well* for the most part. So whenever the 'big news' would come to Avry or Ryne, it just fell flat, because it just wasn't shocking at all. So instead of wallowing in grief with Avry for Kerrick's death, I would just fell detached from the whole thing.


With all that said, that's the reason this was a 4 star and not a 5. The writing was still splendid, the plot was great and there was always something going on, there were a few surprises and Avry was still kickass, after all she has gone through, the girl deserves a medal! 


Will be waiting * patiently* (yeah, right!) for the final installment in this trilogy.


Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top