Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review: Colour Wielders by Dawna Raver

Colour Wielders Dawna Raver
Title: Colour Wielders
Series: Heirs of the Magykal Realm Book One
Author: Dawna Raver
Publication Date: April 18, 2013
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Behind the Faerying Mysts, hidden from Mortal eyes, is a land where gods and creatures of myth and legend dwell. And in the Mortal Realm, their Princess is hidden away.

Quinn Sinclair lives an ordinary life with her less-than-loving mother in Conifer, Colorado, clueless of her true nature. On the night of her birthday, a staggering betrayal sends her life spinning out-of-control. As she struggles to pick up the pieces, a vision of a man with haunting tourmaline-blue eyes begs her for help, and she is transported into a Magykal battle-forever changing her life.

Arik Morgaine-Demigod bad boy and outcast of the Magykal Realm-tried to avoid contact with Princess Quinn for eighteen years, not wanting to make good on an old threat. But the fates have other plans. Arik can no longer deny his growing desire for Quinn, or the need to protect her from those wanting to control her burgeoning powers. Can the two of them come together and save the Magykal Realm from being destroyed by the Darkest of Magyks?
 




***



My Thoughts


This book was definitely something. I am not quite sure what to make of it. I guess this would be considered an NA Fantasy since the MC is 22. It's the first one of it's kind that I read.

I'll confess when I started this book I was royally confused. There were so many new terms, and most in Gaelic, that I just wasn't quite sure on who was who and what was what. It turns out this isn't just some fantasy book, it's fantasy derived from Celtic and Norse mythology, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. We have druids, Loki, Tyr, Morgana Le Fay, all these gods living in a place called the Magykal realm which is set in Ireland. It was an interesting mix, but in this case it worked. I really liked this world that Raver built, it's intricate with a very heavy focus on Fate/Destiny. Instead of the 3 fates that we see in Greek mythology, here we find the Triarchia which are instead 3 brothers and these brothers are the ones who manipulate the lives of not only the demigods, but the gods as well. In other words I thought the world-building was phenomenal.

My problem lies with the romance. Unfortunately this was one of those love at first sight kind of deals, yet not, seeing as how they hadn't even actually met and they already had this connection. Which is explained but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Both Arik and Quinn seemed to me like they were a little too horny and I don't mean about each other. Quinn loses her virginity to some dude, then starts getting attracted some other dude and then finally Arik. While I understand where she is coming from, and I did admire her resilience up to a point, it just didn't quite sit right with me.

This brings me to my next point which is Quinn herself. She is an interesting character to say the least. I still can't quite make up my mind about her. She would come across as a cry baby, a brat, independent yet needy, and didn't take crap from anyone. She was all over the place. Her reactions where right for a situation but it didn't seem to all mesh together to make Quinn either. I don't know, it was just strange. Aside from Quinn though the rest of the characters are all awesome. Loved them all, from the evil 'witch' Morgana Le Fey to the little gnome Pierpont, adored them all! 

There were a few formatting issues. It wasn't grammar  it was just some words seemed to repeat at times and a couple of missing words. It wasn't bad enough that it takes away from the story, but it's still there.

If you like mythology and fantasy, you should consider giving this one a try, it does end in a CH, but hell, it is all in all a book worth reading. I'll definitely be looking forward to the next one.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, this one is on my tbr and I'm getting to it really soon. The cover is beautiful and the author is so cool, I've been in contact with her for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete

^ Scroll to Top