Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: What Lies Beneath by Richard Denney

What Lies Beneath Richard Denney
Title: What Lies Beneath
Publication Date: March 5, 2013
Rating: 1 Star

When Blair Lewis is left for dead in a freezing lake, she can't get over the fact that her boyfriend tried to kill her. And when she begins to receive disturbing gifts and letters from her supposed dead boyfriend, she attempts to figure out what is going on before the darkness consumes her. Nothing is as it seems and the startling truth is going to rip Blair right out of this world. Is Blair simply losing her mind? Or is something vicious and dark after her sanity and soul?


 



***



My Thoughts



I was so excited when I found this one. I have been searching for psychological thrillers ever since my new found love for Mara Dyer. Unfortunately this was nothing like that.

For being a psychological thriller it did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't care at all for the MC, nor did the whole stalking thing creep me out at all and everyone seeming to think she is crazy when all they have recovered is the guy's arm seems silly to me. 

I felt incredibly indifferent towards Blair from the start. It didn't improve as it went on either. I appreciated that she at least seemed to bounce back well enough, but that was also kind of my problem. She should have been freaking out way more and being so much more suspicious, but she took everything in stride and just basically shrugged it off afterwards as if nothing had happened. This led into her not really making any progress in trying to figure out what the hell was going. Which wasn't surprising at all and that was the biggest problem. This is a psychological thriller yet NOTHING was a surprise. Nothing made my heart race or feel bad for MC. It got absolutely no reaction from. I started losing interest pretty quickly and ended up paying attention to a movie my mom watching rather than reading.

The writing while not bad, I didn't think it was great either. So for this being a psychological thriller I didn't like it at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top