Thursday, October 3, 2013

Unraveling: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Title: Steelheart
Series: Reckoners Book One
Publication Date: September 24, 2013

There are no heroes.

Every single person who manifested powers—we call them Epics—turned out to be evil.

Here, in the city once known as Chicago, an extraordinarily powerful Epic declared himself Emperor. Steelheart has the strength of ten men and can control the elements. It is said no bullet can harm him, no sword can split his skin, no explosion can burn him. He is invincible.

It has been ten years. We live our lives as best we can. Nobody fights back . . . nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans who spend their lives studying powerful Epics, finding their weaknesses, then assassinating them.

My name is David Charleston. I’m not one of the Reckoners, but I intend to join them. I have something they need. Something precious, something incredible. Not an object, but an experience. I know his secret.

I’ve seen Steelheart bleed.

Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.

But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics... nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.
  photo B1426D4C-9EEC-4C0B-A1FB-90524B03C0CA-1855-000001A1E82B3B3E_zps17d98f4d.jpg 




***




My Thoughts



Brandon Sanderson does it again! Really, he has made it into my auto-buy author list, which isn't easy to get into. I have read 2 of his novellas, and the Mistborn Trilogy and I have loved every single one of them. 

I think my favorite part of Steelheart were again, the characters xD David!! Omg David and his metaphors! You should read this just for his metaphors. Seriously. He would get so serious trying to figure out these metaphors that weren't even actually that great. He would argue his point too. He was so adorable xD But it wasn't just David that I loved, it was the whole cast for one minor exception. Cody was my second favorite character, the crap that would come out of his mouth was just unbelievable, I mean that both figuratively and literally lol. Then there was Abraham, the level-headed one, Tia the smart geek one, and Prof, the leader. Each one was unique and Brandon did such a good job in bringing out their personalities through the pages. They felt like they were real people that I wish I could meet.

Example of Cody:
"Clever," I said, impressed. "Oh, I'm just good at finding things that are hovering around under my nose. I have keen eyes. I once caught a leprechaun, you know."
"Aren't those Irish?"
"Sure. He was over in the homeland (Scotland) on an exchange basis. We sent the Irish three turnips and a sheep's bladder in trade."

Let's talk about the world-building. This was another excellent point. We all love superheroes and their villians, but a world filled with supervillians only? Were it seems as if there will never be superheroes that will rescue the silly humans on a daily basis? Hadn't heard of that before and Sanderson pulls it off exceptionally. The world and circumstances as to why it came about all makes sense. Yes, there are some holes, but knowing Sanderson that's where all the surprise twists and turns are going to be about, and I can't wait!

Speaking of twists and turns, there were quite a few at the end, but in this case I wasn't actually surprised. I had figured already there was something fishy going on, so when it came it felt more like vindication. I knew there was something there! xD

The plot was intriguing. It starts out as just a 'simple' plan to take out the biggest and baddest Epic, but it's already starting to take some subtle twists and turns that will be putting the plot on it's head, and I love these kinds of books for that. Finding unique plots that change with the story and actually go along with it and it's characters isn't something easily found, unfortunately, but Sanderson just does it so well.

If you like reading a good story in general, then give this a try ;)


So..

Would I Recommend it?




***



Other books in the Reckoners Trilogy:

5 comments:

  1. I can't to pick up a copy of this, it sounds like a book that I would like, Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think everyone would find something to love from this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Sanderson's work! I grabbed this last week and I can't wait to get around too it, I'm waiting on my slowpoke boyfriend to decide he when he wants to read it. Have you read Elantris by Sanderson? It's one of my favorite books, as well as The Way of Kings but that's one is really lengthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read those yet! But I've made it a point to read all of his books now. He is just such a great writer.

    ReplyDelete

^ Scroll to Top