Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Unraveling: Up From The Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Up From The Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Title: Up From The Grave
Series: Night Huntress Book Seven
Publication Date: January 28, 2014

There’s always one more grave to dig.

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death…because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear— will be hovering on the edge of the grave.
  photo B1426D4C-9EEC-4C0B-A1FB-90524B03C0CA-1855-000001A1E82B3B3E_zps17d98f4d.jpg 




***




My Thoughts



Another not so great ending to a series this year. I think the only good one has been Into The Still Blue so far. Evertrue was horrible, Ignite Me and Perfect lies were both meh. It just hasn't been a good year for series' endings. As far as Up From the Grave goes it was a nice enough overall ending, but the book itself was eh.

Why was I disappointed? Let's see...

1. Cat. Yes Cat. She seemed entirely too irrational during the whole book. She has always been able to manage on her own and not only did she NEED Bones to come rescue her once, but multiple times during this book. It was a bit pathetic in my opinion, specially after 6 other books where she managed just fine thank you very much. It was usually just at the end where she needed the extra help when things got really crazy. But it was like she couldn't do anything at all in this book, and she was always like 3 steps behind EVERYONE. The bad guys and Bones *rolls eyes*. And it wasn't even just Bones doing the rescuing it was Denise as well. Which brings me to my next point...

2. Denise. If it weren't for her all their plans would have gone to hell in no time. It felt like Frost was relaying way too heavily on Denise, like she couldn't be bothered with thinking up a different way for it to work. Then there was Spade. All he was in the book for was to be an overprotective husband. That's all he is mentioned for. He was simply the arm candy.

And last but not least.

(view spoiler)

I did like the resolution for Cat, Bones, and their friends. I adored Bones and all his badassness. I also loved that we got to see more of Ian. Hoping Frost decides to give Ian his own book :)
 I just did not like the way it happened. It felt like it deviated too much from normal character behavior and plot devices. Or maybe I'm just speaking out of my ass and they were all like that and I'm just noticing now. If that's the case...I'm glad I just noticed it now xD



So...

Would I Recommend it?



***

Other books in the Night Huntress Series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top