Monday, June 2, 2014

Unraveling: The High Lord by Trudi Canavan

Title: The Taking
Series: The Taking Book One
Author: Trudi Canavan
Genre: YA High Fantasy
Publication Date: November 4, 2004

In the city of Imardin, where those who wield magic wield power, a young street-girl, adopted by the Magician's Guild, finds herself at the centre of a terrible plot that may destroy the entire world . . . Sonea has learned much at the magicians' guild and the other novices now treat her with a grudging respect. But she cannot forget what she witnessed in the High Lord's underground room - or his warning that the realm's ancient enemy is growing in power once more. As Sonea learns more, she begins to doubt her guildmaster's word. Could the truth really be as terrifying as Akkarin claims, or is he trying to trick her into assisting in some unspeakably dark scheme?
  photo B1426D4C-9EEC-4C0B-A1FB-90524B03C0CA-1855-000001A1E82B3B3E_zps17d98f4d.jpg 



***


My Thoughts


Now that I have this one to compare to I ended up going back and changing my previous 3 star rating to 2 stars for the last 2 books, because the books were okay, but I was bored too easily and just nothing of importance really happened. I thought this book is what the last 2 books should have been like. Canavan could have merged books 1 & 2 and made this into a duology instead of a trilogy and it would have been much better.

When I went back to change my rating I realized something. I rated the books completely opposite from my friends. While they all gave the first two books high ratings, I gave them low ones, and this last book they gave it a lower rating, while I'm giving it a higher one. Weird. I don't get it, but to each his own.

Not rating it that much higher, but higher. There was an actual feeling of urgency and excitement here, and while I didn't like how somethings happened/turned out, I appreciated that it actually made me feel something besides bored.

Things I didn't like how they turned out:

- Akkarin. And not just what happened at the end, but throughout the whole book. In books 1 and 2 he is seen as this all knowing magician. He knew everyone's business and helped some along, deterred others for his convenience and sneaky plans. In this one there was none of that feeling of bad assery. All the clever plans came from Sonea, and those because she stumbled upon which, granted, was smart of her, but still. There was a definite lack of what had made Akkarin, Akkarin. (view spoiler)

- The Invasion. Mostly just how the deaths happened. Specially how that first death happened. A spear, really? Just like that? I would have expected these people to be walking around with shields all day during an invasion. They have the power to spare so why the hell not? It just seemed a little too easy at times. Then there is Akkarin's involvement again. Translation: There wasn't. He just kept walking around the whole place and fought no one till the big showdown. Everything was done by Sonea and it just seemed a little too unbelievable.


- Why was Rothen spared? I just really didn't see the point of it. The whole 'torturing' thing wasn't good enough of a reason to keep him alive and give him a chance to help out everyone else. It was cheap in my opinion. Not that I have anything against the guy, but yeah, it would have been right for him to die at that point. It was his time.

So while I really appreciated the action, suspense, and fighting, I was very disappointed with what Canavan did to Akkarin's character. Felt sloppy. Besides that it was a great book, much more exciting than it's predecessors.




So...

Would I Recommend it?



***

No comments:

Post a Comment

^ Scroll to Top